Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Mafia Playthrough #1

So far this game is pretty broken. I'm glad that this is only the first play test so I can try to work through the mechanics on my own. I had my instructor and a classmate give it a go... which ended up having both of them waddling through a dull game board with the most unsatisfied look on their faces. I'm so sorry guys! I listened to their critique with open ears. I know this game will be really fun when it's debugged.
Yes, I threw it in the trash.

So here's a list of things I have to work through;

Card/Aesthetics:
  • Fix the size of the location cards in relation to the map, use the given template 
  • Bigger money cards
  • Design/Make a money card holder for easy organizing
  • Remember needs to be a successful 2 player game. 
Map Layout/Move Mechanics:

  • Make sure that players have to purchase locations, making a setback for owning large properties in exchange for more gang members/map control
  • Specify how you move- maybe try a sliding mechanic? (pt A to B)
  • Specify how to land on location spaces (Ticket to Ride?)
  • Idea of taking districts of the map for domination in race of individual locations. Whole district= extra points for end game. 
  • When rolling for a chance to take locations, make it so that theres a penalty for a bad roll so it dissuades players for attempting to take location multiple times.
  • Make locations easier to reach by adding more gang tokens. This could be a pretty fun mechanic if I can tinker through it. Players can purchase gang tokens or get them from event cards. 
Other Mechanics:
  • It's wayyy too easy to get money. More setbacks. 
  • Better spacing for event cards. So far no one is landing on them. Possibly have them take an event card every turn? What about passing their own location like Monopoly? What about sliding space? (1/3 chance of landing on one)
  • More showdowns! This will probably be sorted out with more gang members Two players landing on same location = fun chaos

*Figure out a title for this

No comments:

Post a Comment